It’s pie season! Today I’m sharing with you a very easy and very simple recipe to make your own blueberry pie from scratch for the upcoming holidays.
The nutmeg and cinnamon in this recipe add just a little bit of spice to make this pie a little more festive for the holidays.
We have lots of pie supplies at our store online and at our physical store. Pie plates, pie crust shields (which are awesome for keeping your crust from getting too brown), pie weights, pie servers, and pie tone and clearjel A for thickening your fillings. Come into our store or have a browse online to see all we have to offer your pie making endeavors.
- crust for a double crust pie
- 7 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup clearjel A
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg white, whisked until just frothy
- clear sugar crystals (optional)
- Prepare pie crust by rolling half of it out to about 1/8" thick and placing it into a 9" pie plate. Reserve the remaining half for a lattice or solid top crust.
- Combine sugar, clearjel A, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large saucepan.
- Add blueberries and mix to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the pie filling begins to thicken.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and create a lattice or solid top crust. For a plaid lattice, make a lattice as normal, but alternate three 1/2-inch strips of dough for every one 1-inch strip of dough.
- Brush egg white over the top crust or lattice and sprinkle sugar crystals over the top.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before eating.