Mini Key Lime Pies
Happy Pi Day! We have these cute Mini Key Lime Pies for you to celebrate your Pi Day.
This is a triple-duty dessert for this time of year. First of all, it’s green, so it can be used as a St. Patrick’s Day dessert. Second, it’s pie. Pi day (3.14) is March 14, so you can make this for your pi day pie. And third, it would make a fantastic Easter dessert. I love citrus all year long, but I think it’s particularly appropriate in the Spring.
This pie is so creamy and smooth and it definitely packs a punch of lime.
You know those little foil pie tins that store bought pot pies used to come in? We have empty ones for sale! Not only could you make single serving pot pies to freeze for a quick and easy last minute lunch or dinner, but you can also make single serving dessert pies. They would be great to give as gifts. Or slice them up and serve them as refreshments at your next gathering.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (regular lime juice will work too)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 5-10 drops lime essential oil (optional, but it really enhances the lime flavor)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Divide into three mini pot pie tins and press lightly up the sides and on the bottom.
- Bake at 350° F for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs yolks. Add condensed milk, key lime juice and zest. Blend together.
- Pour filling in crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate pie overnight before serving to let set.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream and lime zest.