Quinoa Broccoli Salad
With summer coming, the grills are gonna start flaming and you need a refreshing salad to go with that heavy meat. Enter the Quinoa Broccoli Salad with Cranberries and Candied Walnuts.
I love salads with whole grains. It gives substance and depth of flavor that is so different from other salads.
With a little tartness and the right balance of sweet and salty, this salad will keep you and your guests coming back for more.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- Rinse and drain quinoa in warm water.
- In a medium saucepan add water, vegetable bouillon, and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, season with salt and pepper; allow to cool in the fridge while you make the candied walnuts and dressing.
- Make candied walnuts. Melt butter in a skillet. Add walnuts, honey, salt, and brown sugar. Sauté for 5-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn the sugar. Spread on parchment paper and separate the nuts as much as possible so they don't stick together. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients with a whisk and set aside.
- Combine broccoli, cranberries, quinoa, and candied walnuts.
- Drizzle with dressing before serving.