Easy 100% Whole Wheat Bread in 90 Minutes
Shape your loaves and place them in your bread pans. After your loaves are shaped all pretty in the pans, brush the tops with melted butter or spray with butter flavored cooking spray. This little extra step keeps the tops from drying out while rising and makes a super soft crust.
Turn your oven on for 1 minute, then turn it off. Put your bread in there to rise for 10-15 minutes or until the dough reaches the top of the pan. Then turn your oven on to 350 degrees without taking the bread out and set your timer for 35 minutes. While the oven is pre-heating, the bread will finish rising and then automatically begin to bake.
After 35 minutes, take your bread out of the oven, get it out of the pans, and place it to cool on a cooling rack. Again, brush the tops with melted butter or spray with butter flavored cooking spray. It makes the crust super super soft and gives a delicious buttery flavor.
Cut a slice while it’s still hot and spread some butter on it. Enjoy!
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/4 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil or soy lecithin
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 tablespoon dough enhancer
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Mix 3 1/2 cups flour, vital wheat gluten, and yeast in mixer with dough hook. Add water all at once and mix 1 minute; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil (or soy lecithin), honey, and dough enhancer and knead for 1 minute. Add last 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, kneading between each cup. Knead for about 6-8 minutes until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl. This makes a very soft dough.
- Preheat oven for 1 minute to lukewarm and turn off. With oiled hands, turn dough onto oiled counter top. Divide into two 1 1/2 lb portions. (There will be about 3/4 lb left. Make mini loaves or a few rolls with it.) Shape into loaves, and place in oiled bread pans.Let rise in warm oven for 10-15 minutes until dough reaches top of pans. Do not remove bread from oven; turn oven to 350 F and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from pans, brush melted butter on tops, and cool on racks.